Friday, July 1, 2011

Bubble Painting In the Great Outdoors

This idea was adapted from the book 2's Art Experience, by Liz and Dick Wilmes.


What we did was to tape up a few pieces of white paper on our backyard fence. I used duct tape; it stayed up for a few hours.

Before we started the activity, I opened two small bubble solution containers. I put 1/8 teaspoon food coloring in each container (one for each child, different colors for fun), put the caps back on, and shook them up. After pouring the colored bubble solution into the no-spill dispensers (which I love for my toddler and even my preschooler), we were ready to go.

By the way, if you don't have any bubble solution right now, here is a simple recipe.

Tip: Have your children wear clothes that can get stained. This is not the messiest of activities, but a bit of colored bubble solution will probably end up on their clothing.

The children blew colored bubbles onto the paper, making faint circular bubble splatters.






The bubble splatters do not make a very dark "painting," but my children enjoyed doing the activity and were proud of their results. Because we were experimenting, I used paper that had already been printed on one side (as you may be able to see). If cardstock were used, this activity could make some pretty, delicate, handmade notecards.

Perhaps my favorite aspect of this activity was the way it enticed my children outdoors.
 

6 comments:

  1. That is very neat and not something that I would have thought up on my own. Thanks for sharing. I will definitely have to try this with my daughter. It may get her to actually blow her own bubbles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like it would be fun on a hot day!

    Stopping from Mom Loop!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aprile, I had the same hopes for my toddler! He had a lot of fun with it and I did NOT blow the bubbles for him! :) Although I don't know how many of his blows actually put bubble solution on the paper.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So good to see you here, JDaniel4's Mom! I definitely put the papers up in the shade. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds like a fun activity to do. My daughters love bubbles (and so do my dogs!). Maybe we could make a few up as cards for our relatives, we always send an "end of summer" update and that would be a cute addition!

    Stopping by from Mom Loop!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds great, Fuller Family! I bet you could get a bit darker colors by blowing lots of bubbles on top of each other. Let the dogs help. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...