This post about what she and her toddler are reading was cute, informative, and inspiring. In response, here is what I am reading to my toddler this week:
| This is the very edition we have: I am fond of it. |
Little House in the Big Woods by Laura Ingalls Wilder
I chose this book because I have been itching to read the whole Little House series to my children and I believe my five-year-old is old enough to appreciate it. They both listen very well to it when I read aloud at breakfast time.
The Little Engine That Could by Watty Piper
We have had this book forever but my toddler just noticed it and has taken a liking to it. Classic! I guess it goes along with his preference for playing with his train sets every day. :)
Aesop's Fables for Young Readers edited by Laurel Hicks
Everyone has to learn the morals in Aesop's Fables, am I right? These fables are short (bonus), about animals (bonus), illustrated in a way that captures my children's interest (bonus), and include questions at the end of each story that my older child can answer (bonus). Four bonus points!!
Toot & Puddle: I'll Be Home for Christmas by Holly Hobbie
I love the Toot & Puddle books. The illustrations are gorgeous and heartwarming. The stories demonstrate the virtues of adventurousness, loyalty, friendship, love for the environment (both natural and cultural), and domesticity - all without using unnecessary words. The characters' actions and conversations, both written and spoken, are the story.
So I am in love with the Toot & Puddle books. I have to say, though, that my toddler is not as interested in I'll Be Home for Christmas. He loved the book named simply Toot & Puddle. Interestingly, these books are advertised as being for ages 4-8. My five-year-old likes them fine but doesn't ask for me to read them.
My toddler also likes to look at grocery store circulars and magazines with me, because both types of publications show plenty of food. Food is the theme of his life.

I'm glad you found my blog! So, good to see what others are reading as well! I'm looking forward to reading the Little House Series to L too when she's older; I've seen some great unit studies that go along with it.
ReplyDeleteOh I know, I can get lost for hours exploring some of those Little House on the Prairie resources! My son's favorite series has been The Chronicles of Narnia, and I think some of the same places have similar resources for the Chronicles.
ReplyDelete