Friday, July 8, 2011

Winter Fun In the Summertime: Movie Marathon

Image courtesy of clker.com


At the beginning of summer, I posted an idea to have winter fun in the summertime when it gets dangerously hot out there. Yesterday we put into action #5: the (Indoor) Movie Marathon.

After swim lessons in the morning and a sweltering trip to Target, I decided I wouldn't put the children out to play in this heat.

We have young children, so rather than choose a theme of favorite summer or winter movies, I allowed each one to choose a movie. I closed all the blinds, put popcorn in the microwave, and set them on the couch with the first-choice movie. Whew! An air-conditioned house feels really fabulous after a car ride.

If you start to feel guilty about plopping the youngsters in front of the TV, go all out with the theme of the movie and put fun themed props on the coffee table in front of them. My children spend just as much time playing pretend as watching the movie. Oh, and they also spend a lot of time on serious popcorn-munching.

Caution: The American Academy of Pediatrics lists popcorn as one of the foods that poses a high risk of choking among children.


Image courtesy of clker.com

It's not that my little ones aren't watching TV anyway at certain times of the day, but I always feel better when our mindless activities are scheduled in. Do you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...