Booking Through Thursday hosts a weekly meme with a bookish question each Thursday.
This week's question is: "All things being equal (money, space, etc), would you rather own copies of the books you read? Or borrow them?"
Both! I do not need a copy of every book I read and probably would not return to most of them if I did own a copy. Yet I am one of those people who re-reads beloved books dozens of times.
I recently confessed to my husband that if anything happened to my copies of The Lord of the Rings trilogy (and The Hobbit) and The Chronicles of Narnia, I would feel lost and partly empty until I replaced them.
Since this blog is about children and learning activities, I'll address the question from the standpoint of children's books. For the most part, I would prefer to own many children's books. That way, the children can see them in the bookcase and pull out whatever book they would like to explore. On the other hand, we have access to thousands of books and dozens of magazines at the public library. I would never buy all of those books or magazines, no matter how much money I had. Taking advantage of our public library means a nearly infinite stash of reading materials to choose from!

I like your answer! When my kids were little we utilized our public library extensively too!
ReplyDeleteBooking Through Thursday
Thanks, Shirley! I just visited your answer and loved the image of being surrounded by books!
ReplyDeleteI’m a big re-reader so I like to own my books. In fact I have multiple copies of some of my favourite books as I tend to wear them out.
ReplyDeleteSally.
http://theelifylop.blogspot.com/2011/06/booking-through-thursday-21.html
Sally, you remind me. I had better get extra copies of a couple of mine which are falling apart at the seams. I left a comment on your post. :)
ReplyDeleteI'm with you -- combination! For books to own, I love PaperbackSwap.com and bookmooch.com. I can recycle old books for new and pay only the cost of shipping (about $2.25 per book).
ReplyDeleteThen again, I also have an enormous stack of library books at any given time. The library is great for unit studies. Right now our kids are learning about Ancient India. Why spend a fortune on our own books, when the library has a bunch of great choices for free.
That's so true, powerlaunch. We may not want to buy all the books for everything we study, but we can read about as many as we want using the library! I forgot about PaperbackSwap.com and I'd never heard of bookmooch.com. I'll have to look into those - thanks!
ReplyDelete