Thursday, June 30, 2011

Booking Through Thursday: Size Matters

Booking Through Thursday's question this week is:
What’s the largest your personal library has ever been? What’s the greatest number of books you’ve ever owned at one time? (Estimates are fine.)
Is your collection NOW the biggest it’s ever been? Or have you down-sized?
What’s the fewest number of books you’ve ever owned (not counting your pre-reading years)?


I believe my personal library was the same size when I was single as now, when I live with a husband and two children! Through six moves in married life, I have pared down my books as much as I could. Still, I kept all my beloved children's and young adult books through all of this. One reason was that they are still some of my very favorite books. Another reason was to save them for when my children might be interested in reading them.

We only have a few more children's books now than I ever did!

My best guess at the number of books in this house is around 400.

The smallest number of books I owned was probably twenty-five to fifty when I was a child at home. When I left home, several of the household-at-large books were given to me or just mysteriously came with me. More were given to me as my mother cleared out her homes. My collection grew from there. I always bought books at library sales and garage sales, but I also started buying books online during my college years.

Now, with children, I find their favorite Christmas-gift books come from my Goodwill selections.

18 comments:

  1. Book collections seem to grow, don't they? Even when we give away books. That's my story, here at MY BTT POST

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, no matter how many we give away. :) I commented on your post. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Moving around growing up, I kept the size of my book collection smaller. Books are heavy in boxes! Now that I'm not moving as much, the size of my library is expanding.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a homeschooler, my family's collection of books started growing after we began homeschooling. It's been growing ever since although we aren't buying books regularly now due to their prices.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We recently moved, nashvillebookworm, and every time someone picked up one of my book boxes, they had a surprised look on their face and said something about it being books in there. I tried to pack them in small boxes, I really did! Expanding library, that sounds nice.

    Sugarpeach, you remind me of what a luxury it is to own books. Homeschoolers do need a great home library... And other households, too! I keep certain books in the hopes that my children will stumble upon them some year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. When my children were young, I loved to acquire books for my children. At least that's what I said. "These books are for my children." Right....

    Ubiquitous...that's books for me...Booking Through Thursday: Size Matters.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay, you're right, I admit it, Deb. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I saved all of my daughter's little golden books, she might want them some day.

    here's mine:

    http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2011/06/booking-through-thursday_30.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think she might, Tribute Books Mama! Hang onto those!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Saving your books for your children is a very good idea. Eventually they'll want their own, but they'll still have the ones you kerpt.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We never had children and I often wonder if they'd be as obsessed with books as I am :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm a book collector! We visit used book stores often. I have two boxes of books I'm saving that were favorites when my kids were very young. Most have taped pages and are a little worn out. I get them out sometimes and read them aloud. Sometimes the kids or their dad will read them. (Happy Memories)
    My mom saved a few books from when she read to me. I have one on my shelf. I didn't keep any books I read. I didn't like reading as a child or young adult. I didn't read for enjoyment until I was 25. I usually couldn't get into a book. I think I had trouble comprehending or engaging. Now I write a blog called Beginning Reading Help. Go figure.

    ReplyDelete
  13. pacrapacma, you are probably one of the best people to write such a blog because you understand the perspective of someone who doesn't like to read for enjoyment.

    I like that practice of getting out the old, beloved books every once in a while. What a nice bonding, family tradition.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi, Yvonne! It's likely they would have been with you as a reading role model. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ha ha, quite a few household-at-large books mysteriously came with me when I first left home too. I remember my dad coming over and saying "hey, we have a copy of this too." Um, not any more. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I can't imagine how many books my household will have once I have children!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Meg, I'm sure it will grow and grow! It is nice to own more books when there are children in the house so that they can browse at will. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. paludybub, that conversation sounds familiar. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...