Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Learning to Tie Shoelaces

On some kindergarten readiness lists is that dreaded challenge Learning to Tie Shoelaces. We did not even broach the subject in our house until our son was five years old.

At that age, he was ready for a new challenge, so we said we would start the learning process.

Tip #1: Go very slowly.

We don't learn many skills on our first try. Don't expect your child to learn much the first time you show them how to tie their laces. They might be able to remember the first step (for example, make an X with the shoelaces).

Tip #2: Modify their expectations.

Tell your children that they will NOT know how to tie shoelaces on their first try. Tell them you will practice together many, many times before they know how to do it.

Each time my son complained, "I don't remember!" or, "I can't do it correctly!" I said, "That's okay! It takes lots of practice before we know how to do something!"

Then I asked him if he remembered the first step (which I knew he did) so that he could tell me something correctly and feel proud of it.

Tip #3: Use one of the fun methods out there.

Characters like jumping bunnies do help children remember the steps to tying their shoes. I like this method from Wondertime magazine.

Tip #4: Shoes with laces are hard to find!

When we felt we were ready to start tackling this skill, I went shopping for shoes with laces that would fit my five-year-old. It was hard! Almost all the children's styles were flip-flops or velcro or just stretchy.

Our consignment store had some, but I had heard never to buy used shoes for children, so I hesitated. Other shoe stores did not carry laced shoes except for very much larger sizes. My son has long feet and I still had trouble finding any laced shoes his size! I thought our only option was going to be football or soccer cleats!

Finally, I did find a pair of sneakers and a bunch of Converse at Target in his size. I spent more than I wanted but he does look good in them.

Tip #5: Keep velcro shoes on hand.

Until your child is adept, don't make his or her teachers spend half the school day tying shoelaces. :) Send your child to school in velcro or slip-on shoes. You may never be thanked for it, but I bet the teachers will feel gratitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...