Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Should Anyone Learn Cursive Writing?

Recently I read an article in EducationNews about the use - or disuse - of cursive writing. There were many arguments for abandoning cursive now that we have the magic of word processing.

Argument #1: Word processing more efficient

Yes, word processing is much more efficient. When I first learned to use word processing (in college!), it took some time to adjust myself mentally. I thought that I composed messages, stories, essays, and papers better while writing by hand. I later typed up what I had written out by hand, when that was necessary.

Not much time passed before my mental processes caught on to word processing. Eventually I found that I could compose better and more easily when typing in a word processing program, email, or blog post. If I wanted to go back to writing by hand, I would go through another period of adjustment before I was again comfortable with it.

For many purposes, word processing will be the more efficient and effective tool. I can think of one instance when a high level of efficiency makes the message less effective: personal, intimate correspondence. A handwritten letter obviously takes more time and effort - in effect, it's a time out from regular daily life - and so it is much more valuable to the recipient.

Argument #2: No use for it after school

I have found two reasons to use cursive at this point in my life. One is letter and card writing. I want my messages to take more time than typing so that the recipients know they are important to me.

The other reason is taking notes for certain projects. There is something about taking the time to form attractive cursive lettering that gives me a psychological boost. It influences me to put more effort toward quality in all phases of the project. Often, I would rather have my project turn out well than save time doing it. In those cases, starting with neat cursive notes gets me started with the right attitude.

Argument #3: No time, they have to do standardized tests

I wonder how many individuals have gotten any benefit out of the standardized state achievement tests. That is a topic for another (hundred) post(s), but I consider it a weak argument against cursive writing.

Pro-cursive point #1: Cursive helps kids distinguish between words

The way that cursive connects letters in a word gives kids visual and tactile practice distinguishing where one word ends and another begins.

Pro-cursive point #2: Some schools still embrace it; 80% of teachers devote some time to it in 1st, 2nd, 3rd grades

The article in EducationNews did not give the reasons that certain schools still embrace cursive writing. It would be interesting to find out their particular reasons.

Here is an excellent post giving one person's reasons for wanting to hang on to cursive writing.

My own last point is not rational, but I am glad to think that my son will be taught cursive writing like I was. I hate to see any discipline go completely out of use. Trends come and go, and someday children who were never taught cursive writing will learn of its existence and decide to study it on their own. I imagine it being like some of the more esoteric martial arts: Some people will enjoy plunging themselves wholeheartedly into this “lost art.” Oh, right! Like calligraphy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...