There was an article in The Mailbox magazine (Preschool, April/May 2009) with ideas for five activities around the book Harry the Dirty Dog, by Gene Zion, illustrated by Margaret Bloy Graham. The activities, contributed by Tricia Brown of Bowling Green, Kentucky, utilized dramatizing, critical thinking, fine-motor, retelling, and participating skills.
I thought this was a great format for making learning fun at home. Thanks to the inspiration from The Mailbox and from Tricia Brown, I will be posting a series of storybook-themed activities that can be spread across a week or done over the weekend.
The books I will use as themes are classic storybooks that should be readily available in the library, in your home, or even as videos. Scholastic has a video collection called Storybook Treasures that includes each of these stories.
Where possible, I will include ideas to adapt the preschool activities for babies, toddlers, and older children.
The books that will form the themes are listed to the right in a sidebar called Storybook Weeks.
Each Monday I will post another "week" for the series. Enjoy!
No comments:
Post a Comment