Thursday, August 11, 2011

Picture Charts for Training

Little ones get dirty. Often.


My latest goal is to start teaching our younger child how to wash his own hands and face.

I often get frustrated trying to teach my children a skill because I forget that I need to break it down into the smallest of steps. For example, teaching my two-year-old to wash his own hands and face actually involves at least eight steps.

  1. Bring potty stool to sink and stand on it.
  2. Turn on water.
  3. Pump soap into hands.
  4. Scrub hands.
  5. Wash face around mouth.
  6. Rinse hands with water.
  7. Rinse around mouth with water.
  8. Dry hands and face on hand towel.

For our training, I made a picture chart with blank spaces for star stickers each time he successfully does a step. After a certain number of earned stickers, I will give him a reward. (There is a toy dinosaur waiting in my closet for just such a purpose.)

When we were potty training our older son, my husband made a chart like this which was very helpful.

If anyone is interested, I have made it a public document you can view here. The images I used are mostly from www.clker.com.

A little tip: The chart my husband made for potty training worked very well; the only problem was how dilapidated it got in a damp environment like the bathroom. This time I plan to slip it into a plastic sheet protector and hang that on the bathroom wall where my child can see it.

P.S. I've already realized I missed a step in the chart. There is no step to put the potty stool back where he found it after using it. And the only reason I don't add it is because I want to keep this washing-hands thing to one page!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...