Wednesday, August 24, 2011

How I Learned a Foreign Language

Along with my recent posts about teaching a foreign language, I thought I would post how I learned Spanish. I am proficient in Spanish, but more so in reading and writing the language than in speaking it. Fast conversation with native speakers is my weak point, although I have been to Spanish-speaking countries and, to some extent, navigated us through the trips speaking Spanish.

(Note: Spanish speakers are often very considerate of foreign speakers without us necessarily even knowing it. Especially, my sister and I noticed, in Ecuador, people speak clear and slow Spanish to foreigners.)

Elementary School

My first exposure to Spanish was a weekly elective in first grade. After first grade, my family moved to another state and I don't think I was taught much Spanish until I chose it as an elective in high school. I remember learning colors and numbers and the letters of the Spanish alphabet.

However, I had a high confidence level that I knew some Spanish and could learn more due to that early first experience. See my discussion of that point in my first post about teaching foreign languages to children

High School

I chose Spanish as an elective for at least two years. I'm afraid I can't remember if I took more than two years of elective Spanish. Two years was basically a requirement for getting into a liberal arts college or university. On top of using it as a requirement, I was also excited to learn more of the language that I had started learning as a young child.

College

I knew I wanted to take more Spanish in college. After earning lots of credits and slowly becoming able to use the language in more sophisticated ways, I decided to turn it into an official concentration along with my major in Psychology. I was able to write short stories, essays, and academic papers in Spanish through the Spanish Composition courses I took, and able to converse a little bit and improve my pronunciation and vocabulary through Spanish Speaking courses.

This education made me competent to travel in Spanish-speaking countries, especially because I could ask for things and answer some questions without knowing a whole lot of idiomatic language and without being all that fast. My greatest test came when I had to try to speak to the police about a stolen purse! I can't say I was completely successful in that specialized situation, but they were able to use a little bit of English with us as well.

This brings me to where I am now. I am able to read and write Spanish better than speak it conversationally. If I pass people having a normal-paced conversation in Spanish, I only catch about half of it. I would have to brush up in order to speak it in a conversation.

Because of my academic and traveling background, my weaknesses could be dealt with pretty easily through traveling to a Spanish-speaking country again for a period of time or challenging myself to speak only Spanish in conversation with Spanish speakers on a regular basis.

What were your experiences with learning a foreign language?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...