This book is for beginning readers and has an average of three words per page.
This book involves pointing (by you or your child) and endless repetitions of what animal that is and what sound it makes.
This book requires lots of frenzied expression and a Grover voice. Hard on the vocal cords, although a very cute and popular book. I think it was my husband's favorite book as a young child. He is very good at reading it aloud, too.
Like the My Big Animal Book, this requires labeling everything in the picture for my son, and it is tedious.
I have to separate this from the book simply called Tractors (Wheelie Board Books), which is on wheels and has pictures of tractors on each page but not very many words. I don't mind as much saying, "tractor," on each page until we are done with the book. Pictured below, it was also the first book my toddler "read" aloud to himself when he thought no one was looking. That was somewhere around his one-year birthday, I think.
This and many other similar Groovy Tube books (we have Magical Creatures as well) are relatively inexpensive and come with a tube of small figures from the books. The figures are not the highest quality I have seen, but they have lasted - with some major and minor disfigurements - for my older child for years. His love for the figures is equaled by his love for the books, which take about fifteen minutes each to read.
These books that I dislike are important for one reason: my children love them. Any books that are beloved by children are priceless in terms of the future bond they build between children and the marvelous world of reading.
What books are you asked to read a dozen times in a row?

Your number 3 is my number 1 book that I hate. Reading that book is a lot of work!
ReplyDeleteIt is! It's physically work, I think due to all the exclamation points that encourage the reader to use lots of expression. :) I prefer to leave this book to my husband to read aloud.
ReplyDelete